Point of Rocks
NOTICE: Due to several factors beyond our control, the January 23rd Quarterly Members Lunch Meeting - scheduled to be held in the Salisbury Country Club - has been cancelled. We hope to reschedule the same program for our Spring Quarterly Members Meeting on April 24th, 2022. More details to follow.
County Holiday Closings: The CHSV LIbrary will be closed in conjunction with the Chesterfield Coulty Holiday Schedule: Friday, Dec. 31, 2021. For a comprehensive schedule of County holidays, see https://www.chesterfield.gov/5430/County-Holiday-Schedule
New Museum Exhibit: The Chesterfield Historical Society of Virginia and Chesterfield Department of Parks and Recreation opened a new exhibit at the Chesterfield County Museum: "Quilts from the Past: Memories and Traditions" and exhibited through December 31, 2021. These treasures date from the 1850s to the1970s, and document women’s lives and their social, political, and family connections. Some are “planned” quilts that utilized purchased fabrics, and others are informal quilts, pieced together with leftover scraps of fabric that held special memories. Among those displayed will be quilts that were said to have been buried in a creek to hide the family’s silver during the Civil War, crazy quilts, an African-American patchwork quilt, and a “signature quilt” that raised funds in 1938 for the Chester branch of the Women’s Christian Temperance Union. This quilt contains 340 embroidered names/initials from area residents. The public is encouraged to identify any of the names or initials that may belong to their ancestors. County Museum hours are 10 a.m. – 4 p.m. Tuesday through Friday, and 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. on Saturday, excluding holidays. The museum is located at 6813 Mimms Loop, on the Historic Courthouse Green along Route 10/Ironbridge Road in Chesterfield.
Historic 1817 Castlewood was built ca. 1817-1819 by Parke Poindexter. Poindexter was the Clerk of the Court at Chesterfield County from 1812 until 1847, almost 35 years. The original landowner was Henry Winfree, who received the property as a land grant in 1754. County Clerk Mr. Poindexter purchased the 180-acre tract in 1816 and began his efforts to construct a new home. One of the three or four finest Federal period houses in the county, Castlewood features a formal five-part plan differing from any other recorded Virginia dwelling.
A two-story granite and brick building, it served as the county prison until 1962. During the 1940s, the jail also served as Police headquarters and housed the county communications center. In 1982, it was
designated a museum and made available to the Chesterfield Historical Society of VA as its first head office location. Upstairs, original iron-barred cells still enclose metal bunks, primitive ablution facilities and graffiti. The front porch features a stone step preserved from the first Chesterfield County courthouse of 1749. Go here for the Chesterfield Museum
Point of Rocks is a historic site on the Appomattox River recently acquired and designated "Pont of Rocks Park". Here Abraham Lincoln walked with Union Generals discussing ways to win a war. Clara Barton served as the head nurse to many wounded and sick Union soldiers in the largest hospital in the world built during the Civil War. The house was used for the surgeons quarters and is still standing. In need of repairs, the house is being stabilized. There is evidence of Indians who lived on the river just below the house. It is one of Chesterfield's most historic sites and not yet open to the public.
Eppington Plantation was built in 1768 by Francis Eppes VI, brother-in-law to Thomas Jefferson, who were close friends and, after Jefferson’s wife Martha died in 1782, the newly widowed Jefferson entrusted his two daughters, Maria and Lucy, to the Eppes family while he served as minister to France. Lucy died of whooping cough and buried on the property. Maria grew to adulthood, married the eldest Eppes son and remained on the property until her death in 1804. The house itself is a Chesterfield County Historic Landmark, a Virginia Historic Landmark and on the National Register of Historic Places.
An intact Confederate fort, not named, will soon be destroyed to make room for a car dealership in 2021. It is heavily surrounded by woods and has been there since 1864. This fort was built as a back-up fort in the event Union Forces broke through The Confederate defenses during the Bermuda Campaign. It was part of the Howlett Line defenses. It would have made a nice park and a site to bring tourists, especially those who enjoy Civil War history, into Chesterfield County, VA. That would have been a source for tourism dollars.
According to tradition, this 19th century house was used by a county magistrate as the “seat” of his court during summer months due to the muddy and rutted roads which made travel to the courthouse in the center of the county almost impossible. The lower brick portion of the house was the “jail” or “detention center, complete with bars that held prisoners or those persons awaiting trial. It is not a large building at 18 by 16 feet. The house is part of Virginia State University.
HIll Spears was born in Chesterfield
County, VA in 1793. He was
a bachelor for many years and about
1836, he built a beautiful
two-story Flemish Bond brick farm
home on a large plantation in
Chesterfield County and named “Turkey
Run” in the 20th Century. It
sat at the bottom of a hill on a
large wooded tract east of Hallsboro
Tavern. Spears died in 1863. His property
was worth $43, 422 (in inflated
Confederate Currency) and 612 acres were sold
in 1870. The property passed through several people.
In 1946, the house was in disrepair.
Then, Ada Corpening
restored the house.
It was later purchased by
the Justis family. When Mrs
Virginia Justis passed away, the
house and property were sold to
Chesterfield County. A school
was built near the house and it fell quickly in disrepair.
county desired to tear it down and
currenty a committee of concerned
citizens are trying to save the
house.. (Picture courtesy Lindsay
It was later purchased by the Justis family. When Mrs Virginia Justis passed away, the house and property were sold to Chesterfield County. A school was built near the house and it fell quickly in disrepair. The county desired to tear it down and currenty a committee of concerned citizens are trying to save the house.. (Picture courtesy Lindsay Cassada)
The old church sits in a stand of a few trees not quite visible from Krause Road but adjacent to Ironbridge Road where it is plainly noticeable. It offers an unobstructed view at that corner. Not so vacant any longer and no longer a huge storage shed for odds and ends, it serves a new purpose in its longevity of survival. It is alive with activity once again. Presently, the Chesterfield Historical Society of Virginia is utilizing the building as its headquarters and library until historic Castlewood is renovated. Historic Castlewood, ca. 1817-1819, sits nearby to the church just across Krause Road and was once the parsonage for the Methodist.