Historic Magnolia Grange...
"Magnolia Grange House Museum" is an elegant Federal period home built in 1822, named for the circle of magnolia trees that once graced its front lawns. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, Magnolia Grange’s distinctive architectural features include elaborate ceiling motifs, a half-turn open carved stairway and hand-painted scenic wallpaper produced by Zuber, a French manufacturer. The formal ground floor rooms exhibit intricately carved mantels, doorways and window frames. Upstairs, the rooms have been furnished according to the era of each of the families who lived in the home: Winfree (1822-1845), DuVal (1858-1876) and Perdue/Cogbill/Daffron (1880-1970). Almost demolished to make room for a shopping mall, Magnolia Grange was preserved in 1984 when the Chesterfield County Board of Supervisors authorized its purchase for $180,000. The Chesterfield Historical Society pledged to raise $100,000 to furnish the home with appropriate antiques. The partnership resulted in a magnificant plantation house saved from the bulldozer and available to all to step back into time and relived the history of the familes who occupied the historic home.
Today, Magnolia Grange House Museum interprets life at a 19th century Virginia country estate with tours conducted by trained docents. Popular events and programs include lectures, elegant teas, community festivals and a traditional Holiday Day Open House in December. See a virtual tour of the beautiful Magnolia Grange House Museum.
Road Map Hours: Tuesday thru Friday- 10 a.m.-4 p.m. - Sat- 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Tour Pricing: $5.00 for adults; $4.00 for seniors (60+); $3.00 for students (6-18); Children 5 & under are Free For details - please call 804-748-1498 or email Martha Atkinson
Magnolia Grange Events and Programs
The House Museum is not ADA accessible to the upper floor and only has a restroom on the second floor. However, ADA Standards do not apply to the house museum. While this may be a temporary setback, you can still access the home with a ramp from the rear of the house for a tour of the first floor which is is elegantly restored with period pieces. All visitors are welcome into our beautiful home.
Historic Magnolia Grange Notes.
Winfree Family (1822-1845)
The connection between Magnolia Grange and the Winfree family began in 1749 with the formation of Chesterfield County and the
construction of its first courthouse. Nearby, the land known as Cold Water Run was patented by Valentine Winfree during the 1750s. Upon his death in 1795, Valentine’s estate of over 1,000 acres was inherited by his son Henry Winfree who owned a small mill on Swift Creek. He apparently inhabited a rather large single story frame house on the property.
When Henry died in 1803, he left his 1,400 acre plantation equally to his sons William and In 1822, William Winfree, his wife Lucy Bass Winfree and four children named William, Henry, Martha and Mary moved into their newly constructed Federal Period home which would eventually acquire the name Magnolia Grange around the time of the Civil War. A fifth child, Rosalie, was born in 1830. The cost of building the house was $6,000, and it appears that Lucy’s inheritance may have been the source of funds for its construction.
William Winfree is known to have operated three businesses on the property. He raised various crops on the 635 acre plantation, including tobacco and cotton. There was also a grist mill for grinding wheat and corn. In addition, he operated a tavern on the property which was conveniently located across the road from the county courthouse. Forthose who needed to attend to court business, his tavern provided meals, accommodation and stables. An office on the first floor of the mansion, with its own entrance, provided a separate space that allowed William Winfree to attend to the daily operations of the farm, and to meet with buyers of his tobacco crop or with farmers wishing to have their corn or wheat ground in his grist mill. This gentleman was recognized by his contemporaries as an astute businessman. (Researched by Liess van der Linen Brusse)