Parker's Battery Park 1801 Ware Bottom Spring Rd, Chesterfield, VA Richmond National Battlefield Park. The site was manned by Parker's "Boy Company" .
In the first two
weeks along the Howlett Line, Parker's Battery
was involved in frequent duels with nearby
Federal batteries. The guns were also
active in support of skirmishes that took
place as picket lines were advanced in the
summer of 1864.
occupied this site until the fall of Petersburg
on April 2, 1865, when they joined Lee on his
retreat to Appomattox. After the war, members of
the company purchased this property and held
reunions here. In the 1930's, as the last
members of the company began to pass on, the
land was donated to the National Park Service.
Livig history events are frequently held at the
park in the Spring and Fall. Parker's
Battery is part of the Richmond National
Battlefield. The site features a walking
trail with several interpretive signs.
There is a
at the park.
Parker's Battery -the "boy soldiers" was named for C.S.A. Major William Watts Parker. Doctor William Parker survived the war and is buried in Hollywood Cemetery, Richmond, VA. He recruited many of the battery's soldiers from the families of his Richmond, VA patients. They distinguished themselves at Gettysburg and elsewhere, but it was the youth of the battery's gunners, loaders and spongers (some as young as fifteen) that made their fame. "Parkers Batterty"was named for the artillery company that defended this spot, The "Howlett Line", a series of infantry trenches, ran from the James River south to the Appomattox River. The trenches were supported by the placement of artillery positions like Parker's Battery at intervals along the line. The site was manned by Parkers "Boy Company" comprised of men from the City of Richmond.
Go to: Trent's Reach