Chesterfield Historical Society of Virginia CHSV Seal

 
MIssion:
  
to collect, preserve, interpret and promote the county’s  past  for the education and enjoyment of present and future generationS

MISSION:   TO COLLECT, PRESERVE, INTERPRET AND PROMOTE THE COUNTY’S  PAST  FOR THE EDUCATION AND ENJOYMENT OF PRESENT AND FUTURE GENERATIONS

The Messenger Newsletter

The "Messenger" published quarterly by the Chesterfield Historical Society of VA, is a collection of member researchers' articles featuring people and places in Chesterfield's unique history, committee reports, Society general news and events.

 

 

Current Issue:  "January 2023"   PDF Version 

  See Archived Newsltters             

About Our Newsletter...

The Messenger Newsletter

The Chesterfield Historical Socciety of Virginia's Newsletter (titled"The Messenger") presented here are the online versions.  Some of the files may appear to load slow due to the large size of the formatted file.m All Meseegers published by the Chesterfield Historical Society of Virginia are located in the CHSV Research Library.  Each are a valuable tool for researching Chesterfield County people and their history. Our Library Volunteers are to assist you if needed.  Members of the Society receive the free newsletter quarterly.  You are encourage to join.  The Messenger Newsletter is printed quarterly.  It is produced and edited by Diane Dallmeyer Hewitt.  Diane is a published author in her own right and has written many interesting historical article for the local are a papers.  Many are still online.

 Generated button Generated button    Generated button


Chesterfield County Historic Sites

Strachan HousePoint of Rocks is a historic site on the Appomattox River  is designated "Pont of Rocks Park".  Abraham Lincoln walked with Union Generals discussing ways to win a war.   Clara Barton served as the head nurse to many wounded and sick Union soldiers in the largest hospital in the world. The house was used for the surgeons quarters and is still standing and currently, the house is being stabilized. Evidence of Indians who lived on the river is just below the house.  It is one of Chesterfield's most historic sites and not yet open to the public.

 

Magnolia Grange House MuseumThe "Magnolia Grange House Museum" is an elegant Federal period home built in 1822, named for the circle of magnolia trees that once graced its front lawns.  Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, Magnolia Grange’s distinctive architectural features include elaborate ceiling motifs, a half-turn open carved stairway  and  hand-painted scenic wallpaper produced by Zuber, a French manufacturer.


CastlewoodHistoric 1817 Castlewood was built ca. 1817-1819 by Parke Poindexter. Poindexter was the Clerk of the Court at Chesterfield County from 1812 until 1847, almost 35 years. The original landowner was Henry Winfree, who received the property as a land grant in 1754. County Clerk Mr. Poindexter purchased the 180-acre tract in 1816 and began his efforts to construct a new home. One of the three or four finest Federal period houses in the county, Castlewood features a formal five-part plan differing from any other recorded Virginia dwelling.


Help Save Chesterfield County's Rich History

Summerseat c. 1860"C. 1860 Summerseat"  - According to tradition, this 19th century house was used by a county magistrate as the “seat” of his court during summer months due to the muddy and rutted roads which made travel to the courthouse in the center of the county almost impossible.  The lower brick portion of the house was the “jail” or “detention center, complete with bars that held prisoners or those persons awaiting trial.  It is not a large building at 18 by 16 feet.  The house is part of Virginia State University.

 

Historic Trinity Church

C. 1879 Trinity Church - The old church sits in a stand of a few trees not quite visible from Krause Road but adjacent to Ironbridge Road where it is plainly noticeable.  It offers an unobstructed view at that corner.  Not so vacant any longer and no longer a huge storage shed for odds and ends, it serves a new purpose in its longevity of survival.  It is alive with activity once again.  Presently, the Chesterfield Historical Society of Virginia is utilizing the building as its headquarters and library until historic Castlewood is renovated.  Historic Castlewood, ca. 1817-1819, sits nearby to the church just across Krause Road and was once the parsonage for the Methodist.

 

 

Genealogy

        Genealogy Research

Archealogical Programs

Summer Camps for Children