Chesterfield Historical Society of Virginia CHSV Seal

 
MIssion:
  
to collect, preserve, interpret and promote the county’s  past  for the education and enjoyment of present and future generationS

MISSION:   TO COLLECT, PRESERVE, INTERPRET AND PROMOTE THE COUNTY’S  PAST  FOR THE EDUCATION AND ENJOYMENT OF PRESENT AND FUTURE GENERATIONS

For Media Use 

CHSV Hours

Public Relations

Gina Love       

 Chesterfield Historical Society of Virginia                           
 P.O. Box 40                                                              
 Chesterfield, VA 23832
 804-796-7131

Email                                        

Current and Past Media Releases  Three Historic Sites

             Media Releases are in the "PDF" format

 

1. Museum Openings    2. Memorial Day   3. “When the U.S. Invaded Russia…Yeah, We Did    4. The Flag Fun Program 

5.  Summer Camps       .6. Paper Slate Session  7.  Play Ball  8. “Starry Suncatchers" 9.  Quilts from the Past: Memories and Traditions 10.  Rosenwald School Roadside Marker   11. "MayFair at Magnolia Grange"   12. Memorial Day Juneteenth Event

 13.  Genealogy Class 14.  Book Binding Lecture  15. Magnolia Grange Reopening  16.  “Lafayette: America’s Favorite Fighting Frenchman" 17. Heirloom Tomatoes: A Taste of the Past.  18.  August Leaves Tea 19. Hispanic Heritage Craft Day 20.  Sacagawea: Forgotten Frontierswoman

10.  “Blockade Runners”  11. Magnolia Making   12. Dolly Madison Lecture  13.  Wedding Traditions Tea 14.  15. WWI Comes To CHesterfield  17.  A Black History Month Performance-Through the Eyes of Coretta 18.  Living History: For Fun and Profit workshop

 Generated button Generated button    Generated button


Chesterfield County Historic Sites

Strachan HousePoint of Rocks is a historic site on the Appomattox River  is designated "Pont of Rocks Park".  Abraham Lincoln walked with Union Generals discussing ways to win a war.   Clara Barton served as the head nurse to many wounded and sick Union soldiers in the largest hospital in the world. The house was used for the surgeons quarters and is still standing and currently, the house is being stabilized. Evidence of Indians who lived on the river is just below the house.  It is one of Chesterfield's most historic sites and not yet open to the public.

 

Magnolia Grange House MuseumThe "Magnolia Grange House Museum" is an elegant Federal period home built in 1822, named for the circle of magnolia trees that once graced its front lawns.  Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, Magnolia Grange’s distinctive architectural features include elaborate ceiling motifs, a half-turn open carved stairway  and  hand-painted scenic wallpaper produced by Zuber, a French manufacturer.


CastlewoodHistoric 1817 Castlewood was built ca. 1817-1819 by Parke Poindexter. Poindexter was the Clerk of the Court at Chesterfield County from 1812 until 1847, almost 35 years. The original landowner was Henry Winfree, who received the property as a land grant in 1754. County Clerk Mr. Poindexter purchased the 180-acre tract in 1816 and began his efforts to construct a new home. One of the three or four finest Federal period houses in the county, Castlewood features a formal five-part plan differing from any other recorded Virginia dwelling.


Help Save Chesterfield County's Rich History

Summerseat c. 1860"C. 1860 Summerseat"  - According to tradition, this 19th century house was used by a county magistrate as the “seat” of his court during summer months due to the muddy and rutted roads which made travel to the courthouse in the center of the county almost impossible.  The lower brick portion of the house was the “jail” or “detention center, complete with bars that held prisoners or those persons awaiting trial.  It is not a large building at 18 by 16 feet.  The house is part of Virginia State University.

 

Historic Trinity Church

C. 1879 Trinity Church - The old church sits in a stand of a few trees not quite visible from Krause Road but adjacent to Ironbridge Road where it is plainly noticeable.  It offers an unobstructed view at that corner.  Not so vacant any longer and no longer a huge storage shed for odds and ends, it serves a new purpose in its longevity of survival.  It is alive with activity once again.  Presently, the Chesterfield Historical Society of Virginia is utilizing the building as its headquarters and library until historic Castlewood is renovated.  Historic Castlewood, ca. 1817-1819, sits nearby to the church just across Krause Road and was once the parsonage for the Methodist.

 

 

Genealogy

        Genealogy Research

Archealogical Programs

Summer Camps for Children