History of the Chesterfield Historical Society of VA
Chartered on September 23, 1981, to meet the growing demand for genealogical and historical research, the Society traces its origins to a Museum Society, organized in 1961, responsible for the first County Museum which opened in 1980. The original CHSV office was located in the historic Historic 1892 Jail, granted for use by the Society in May 1982. CHSV moved into the 1917 Chesterfield County Courthouse in 1990 where it operated a small research library and opened its first Museum Gift Shop. In 1998, the Society head office and research library were relocated to historic Castlewood (1817) on the corner of Iron Bridge Road and Krause Road in Chesterfield. The restoration of this structure started in 2013. Currently, the CHSV office and research library are housed in Historic Trinity Church (1887) located one block west on Iron Bridge Road.
In addition to its operations at Trinity Church, the Museum, the Historic 1892 Jail and Magnolia Grange, the Society also helps maintain the preservation of eight Civil War battlefields, an integral part of the 1864-65 Bermuda Hundred Campaign.
We are a volunteer organization governed by approved by-laws and all volunteer Board of Directors that provides leadership to CHSV committees to develop educational and fundraising programs and conduct research.
The Society offers more than 60 events and programs each year which attracts around 10,000 patrons including 1,000 school children. Our Events Calendar includes an annual winter lecture series, genealogy workshops, rotating exhibits, tours of Civil War sites, paranormal investigations, elegant themed teas served with bone china and finger sandwiches, summer camps for kids and much more.
Board of Directors
Nicholas Carico - President
Jerry Netherland - Vice-President
John Longnaker - Treasurer
Bernard Anderson - Recording Secretary
Buddy Cranford - Past President
Anne Moseley Brandon
- Administrator, Lorie Arnold-
Historical Interpreter, Magnolia Grange and Pat Roble -
- Historical Interpreter, Chesterfield Museum