Major General Benjamin Butler USA
Major General P.T. Beauregard CSA
In May 1864, Gen. Benjamin F. Butler began to construct his main defensive line shortly after landing at Bermuda Hundred. His headquarters, an army hospital and cemetery also were established nearby. President Abraham Lincoln, his wife Mary, Gen. Ulysses S. Grant and other officers visited the headquarters and the defensive positions just weeks before Lincoln's assassination on April 14, 1865. The field hospital, built just east of the park, is where Red Cross founder Clara Barton served during the Seige of Petersburg.
In 1642, Abraham Wood established a trading post on the Point of Rocks in Chesterfield County, VA. Thomas Chamberlayne, Wood’s son-in-law, inherited the property which he later passed to the Stratton and Batte families. John Alexander Strachan, the son of Jane Stratton, built the existing house on the property in 1840. It as occupied bt Gen. Benjamin Butler iduring the Civil War.
Commander of the Union Army, Grant was born Hiram Ulysses Grant on April 27, 1822, in Point Pleasant, Ohio, near the mouth of the Big Indian Creek at the Ohio River. His famous moniker, "U.S. Grant," came after he joined the military.
He was a surgeon at Point of Rocks who supervised the building of the largest hospital in the world. After the war, he became rich and became friends with Alexander Bell who invented the telephone. Parker invented the rorary dial for Bell's phone.