Chesterfield Historical Society of Virginia

Civil War Header

Bermuda Hundred Campaign

Parker's Battery

Parker's Battery Park  1801 Ware Bottom Spring Rd, Chesterfield, VA   Richmond National Battlefield Park.  The site was manned by Parker's "Boy Company" .


In the first two weeks along the Howlett Line, Parker's Battery was involved in frequent duels with nearby Federal batteries.  The guns were also active in support of  skirmishes that took place as picket lines were advanced in the summer of 1864.


Colonel William Watts ParkerParkers Battery occupied this site until the fall of Petersburg on April 2, 1865, when they joined Lee on his retreat to Appomattox. After the war, members of the company purchased this property and held reunions here. In the 1930's, as the last members of the company began to pass on, the land was donated to the National Park Service.  Livig history events are frequently held at the park in the Spring and Fall.  Parker's Battery is part of the Richmond National Battlefield.  The site features a walking trail with several interpretive signs.  There is a historical marker at the park.

 

‚ÄčParker's Battery -the "boy soldiers" was named for C.S.A. Major William Watts Parker.  Doctor William Parker survived the war and is buried in Hollywood Cemetery, Richmond, VA.  He recruited many of the battery's soldiers from the families of his Richmond, VA patients. They distinguished themselves at Gettysburg and elsewhere, but it was the youth of the battery's gunners, loaders and spongers (some as young as fifteen) that made their fame. "Parkers Batterty"was named for the artillery company that defended this spot,  The "Howlett Line", a series of infantry trenches, ran from the James River south to the Appomattox River. The trenches were supported by the placement of artillery positions like Parker's Battery at intervals along the line.  The site was manned by Parkers "Boy Company" comprised of men from the City of Richmond.

He was a Civil War Confederate Army Officer. Having graduated from Richmond Medical College in 1848, he was a physician associated with Bellevue Hospital in Richmond at the start of the Civil War. Enlisting in the Confederate Army in 1861, he became Captain of his own battery, the Parker Virginia Battery, in 1862. His battery saw action at Sharpsburg, Chickamauga, and Knoxville, and was with Lee when he surrendered at Appomattox. Promoted to Major before the end of the war, his services as a surgeon were also used throughout the war. Returning to his medical practice following the war, he also served as president of several Richmond charitible institutions.  He died on August 3, 1899 and is buried in Hollywood Cemetery in Richmond, VA.

 Map Link 

Go to:  Generated button

 

 

Bermuda Hundred Campaign Officers