Chesterfield Historical Society of Virginia

Civil War Header

Bermuda Hundred Campaign

Other Civil War Sites

 

 

‚ÄčHalf Way House  10301 Jefferson Davis Hwy.    Butler used this old tavern May 14-16 while fighting raged to the north at Drewry's Bluff and Fort Stevens. He was forced to leave by a Confederate counter attack. There is a Virginia Civil War Trails interpretive sign and historical markerlocated here. 

Swift Creek Mill:  17401 Jefferson Davis Hwy.  Union troops advancing south toward Petersburg ran into Confederate resistance here on May 9, 1864. Several Confederate attacks here failed to dislodge the Union line, but Butler withdrew his Federal forces the next day.  A Virginia Civil War Trails interpretive sign is located here.

Campbell's Bridge:   Located in Ettrick where Chesterfield Road crosses the Appomattox River.  Part of Robert E. Lee's Confederate army crossed to the north bank of the Appomattox River here on the night of April 2, 1865 when Petersburg was evacuated. Lee ordered all the bridges burned following the crossing to impede Union pursuit. The Confederate army turned west, later re-crossing the Appomattox into Amelia County at Goode's Bridge.  A Virginia Civil War Trails interpretive sign is located here. 

Chesterfield Courthouse and Museum  10201 Iron Bridge Road:    Both located behind the 1917 Courthouse, the museum takes in all of Chesterfield County's history including items related to the many battles fought in the county in 1864. A Civil War Trails sign is located nearby describing the April 1865 retreat through Chesterfield from Petersburg by Robert E. Lee and his Confederate army. Three Confederate columns retreated through the county, one stopping here at the courthouse before moving on.  A Virginia Civil War Trails interpretive sign is located here. 

Goode's Bridge:   Located on Hull Street Road (SR360) where it crosses the Appomattox River.  This is the site where the bulk of Lee's Army left Chesterfield and crossed into Amelia County during the retreat to Appomattox. The remnants of Goode's Bridge still exist just north of the present day bridge. 

View of Dood Park (pont of Rocks) in 1865

 

Go to:   Generated button

 

 

 

 

 

   

 

Bermuda Hundred Campaign Officers