Major General Benjamin Butler USA
Major General P.T. Beauregard CSA
Built in May 1864 and first named Fort Howlett, the battery was renamed after Colonel Olin M. Dantzler who was killed June 2, 1864 in an attempt to capture Fort Dutton. Leading the 22nd South Carolina Infantry Regiment the attack failed. Battery Dantzler, a Confederate battery, was constructed to stop Union naval forces from advancing up the James River. By January 1865, it was armed with two 10" columbiads, one 7" Brooke rifle and one 10" mortar. It was manned by the Johnston Artillery under Captain B.J. Epes. The battery was abandoned April 2, 1865.
Sitting on a high Bluff in the Enon area of Chesterfield is the the home of the Revened John Strachan. He was forced from his home by the Union Army where a large hospital was built. It took him a few years to reclaim his property that had been in the family since the early 1600's. It was the only time in history that the property was not used by the family.
A Confederate Fort in Chesterfield County that would not be saved and allowed a car dealer to bulldozed the site. Such sites in Chesterfield are not high on the County's things to save. History is always at risk of destruction.
The church, one of the oldest in Virginia, was destroyed during the fighting. The church stood until June 18, 1864, when it became a source of annoyance for Parker's Virginia Battery, only a few hundred yards west of the church. Federal sharpshooters had been using the church to harass the gunners. In 2009, 2 acres of this historic site was donated to the Richmond Battlefields Association by a local company..
Donations are always needed to help stem the destruction of historically comnnected sites. Please make a donation to the Chesterfield Historical Society of Virginia. See the address in the right sidebar. You can help us preserve our history.