Major General Benjamin Butler USA
Major General P.T. Beauregard CSA
This Confederate battery is the northern end of the Howlett Line that bottled up Butler’s forces on the Bermuda Hundred peninsula. The fort was named for Col. Olin Miller Dantzler, 22d South Carolina Infantry, who was killed in action near here. In January, 1865, the Battle of Trent’s Reach, one of the last naval actions of the war, took place at the foot of Battery Dantzler. During the battle, three Confederate ironclads were stopped when they tried to force their way downriver to attack Grant’s supply base at City Point. (Click on photo for a larger view)
Part of Robert E. Lee's Confederate army crossed to the north bank of the Appomattox River here the night of April 2, 1865 as he evacuated Petersburg. Lee ordered all the bridges burned following the crossing to impede Union pursuit. This portion of the Confederate army turned west, later re-crossing the Appomattox near Amelia C.H. The retreat ended at Appomattox CH April 9. Pictured are the ruins of the bridge.
During the retreat from Petersburg, Gen. Robert E. Lee and the bulk of his army crossed the Appomattox River into Chesterfield County. Lee’s army marched through the village of Ettrick and proceeded west along River Road and Hickory Road. Lee and his army crossed the Appomattox River again as they headed west into Amelia County. That crossing took place at Goode’s Bridge, where Hull Street Road (Route 360) crosses today. Civil War Trails sign at Grange Hall Elementary School. (Click on photo for a larger view)