< castlewood
CHSV Logo   CHSV Seal   Trinity Church

Historic c.1819 Castlewood

You are here:  homepage>>Site Index >>Historic Sites>>Historic Castlewood



Castlewood formerly housed the offices and staff of the Chesterfield Historical Society of Virginia.  We are now in the Historic Trinity Church and we have an active research library for the public use. 

Castlewood is presently undergoing restoration to the oustside and inside.   The Chesterfield Historical Society of Virginia manages several historic sites.  Like most homes, at some point you have to do do some work to maintain the property or return it to its beautiful historical state.  Castlewood has undergone a lot of changes since its inception in 1817.  Pictured above is the way it appeared in 1935 - paintless and in disrepair.  Its long history included a restoration effort by a private owner, then a bank anf finally the people of Chesterfield County. 


The Chesterfield Historical Society of Virginia loves the old  home but we are only tenants who "live" there.  We do our best to preserve its history and that of the County.  The original colors of the house,  yellow with green shutters, a combination typical of mid- 19th century houses - has been reproduced; the house was white with black shutters. The new shutters were delivered  and installed in April 2014.  The renovation started in 2013 and is currently still in renovation stage, Phase II.  We will keep you updated on its progress!! Come back often. 


View a map of the Historic Sites Complex and the Courthouse Green brochure

Visit More Historic Sites


Historic Castlewood 

Castlewood c. 2016

Join the Chesterfield Historical Society of Virginia.



Chesterfield County Historic Sites - Castlewood


Castlewood c. 1935Built ca. 1817-1819 by Parke Poindexter. Poindexter was Clerk of the Court at Chesterfield County from 1812 until 1847, almost 35 years. The original landowner was Henry Winfree, who received the property as a land grant in 1754. County Clerk Mr. Poindexter purchased the 180-acre tract in 1816 and began his efforts to construct a new home. One of the three or four finest Federal period houses in the county, Castlewood features a formal five-part plan differing from any other recorded Virginia dwelling. The house most closely alike to Castlewood is Carrsbrook, ca. 1794-1812 in Albemarle County. 

Following Mr. Poindexter's death, Castlewood passed through several owners until the Trinity Methodist Church acquired the house in 1860. For twelve years the house would serve as a parsonage for traveling ministers. Between 1872 and 1957 the property belonged to several different owners. The Gilmers purchased it in 1957 and restored it to its 1820 condition. In 1976 the Heritage Savings and Loan bank operated here and in 1980 Chesterfield County purchased the property. In 1998 the Chesterfield Historical Society of Virginia began operating here via cooperative agreement with the County.   


Castlewood (pictured above c. 1935) was unpainted and in disrepair at the time.

Chesterfield County Facts

Teachers Resources

The Chesterfield Historical Society of Virginia Headquarters and research library has moved into the old historic Trinity Church .  See the news media information.  Please contact us:  (804)796-7121.  Hours of Operation:  Monday-Friday from 10:00 am until 4:00 pm.


 CHSV Newsletter                         Messenger