Society of Virginia
date, mark your calendars and join us for a fun
filled afternoon and meal.
16721 Midlothian Turnpike,
Midlothian, VA 23113
April 23, 2 pm
Come join us as we travel to another Chesterfield
Tavern. Hallsborough Tavern is located on Midlothian
Turnpike, just east of Powhatan. The tavern served as a
meeting place for the Hallsboro community as well as a
lodging spot for travelers on the old Buckingham Road.
Daniel W. Michaux, a French Huguenot descendent, is
believed to be the first owner and probably built the
original one story section of the home. In 1810 the
“Hallsborough tract” was sold to James Howard who
established the tavern and retail store. In 1826, Howard
heirs sold a 616 acre parcel to Austin Spears who
continued to operate the business and added the 1832 two
story wing. The tavern also served as a post office and
a daily stop for the Lynchburg stagecoach.
Wooldridge of “Sycamore” (now Crab Louie’s), continued
to operate the tavern until about1851
when the Richmond and Danville Railroad was built. The
post office then moved to a differentsite
known as Tomahawk or Hallsboro Station. The spelling was
changed at this time to Hallsboro as a compromise due to
Mrs. Spear’s disappointment in losing the post office.
The new location became known as Hallsboro Store which
is the present day Gather on Mt. Herman Road.Hallsborough
Tavern remained in the Spears family until 1972.
Privately owned, theAfter
Spears’ death in 1845, his wife Caroline, daughter of
is now the home to Gameboard Antiques. The owner, Mary
Game will be our speaker.Please
come join us for more of the tavern’s history as well as
some fellowship, refreshments, and shopping (should you
want to browse afterwards). We will gather outside for
our business meeting and lecture so please prepare for
weather and bring a chair. Bring a friend and potential
For more information please call the Chesterfield Historical
Society Office at (804) 796-7121.
The Chesterfield Historical Society of Virginia is a
501 (c) (3) organization. Your tax-deductible donation funds the continued
projects, programs, exhibits, and collections of the Society. Donations helps us
to keep our county history alive. For more information, please call our
office at 804-796-7121. Donations may be mailed to the Chesterfield Historical
Society of VA, PO Box 40, Chesterfield, VA 23832
Donate to the Chesterfield Historical Society
Historical Chesterfield County Fact
First English Settlement in Chesterfield
-- Citie of Henricus was established as the second permanent English
settlement in the new world. In May 1611, Sir Thomas Dale arrived in
Virginia with instructions from the London Company to find a secure and
healthy area to establish a new town and principal seat for the colony.
BySeptember 1611, Sir Thomas Dale had moved up the James River to establish
Henricus, the colony's second settlement. He was an experienced
officer, having served as a captain in the Netherlands and had been knighted
at Richmond (England) on June 19, 1606, as Sir Thomas Dale of Surrey.
With the help of friends, Dale was appointed High Marshall of the new
colony. Today, Henricus Park is a
major attraction in Chesterfield County,
SAVE THE BELL:
For 100 years at the top of the historic
1917 Courthouse hung Chesterfield County's oldest artifact, the
1749 Courthouse Bell. When the 1917 Courthouse was built, the
old bell was reused by the County and placed in the cupola.
it needs restoration.
Save the Old Courthouse Bell Campaign
Chesterfield County Facts
The Chesterfield Historical Society of Virginia
Headquarters and research library has moved into the old historic Trinity
Church . See the
news media information. Please contact us: (804)796-7121.
Hours of Operation: Monday-Friday from 10:00 am until 4:00 pm.
Our newsletter is all about Chesterfield history. It is produced for
members of the CHSV by Dr. P. Lipowicz. Article are written and
subitted by CHSV members. Copes are available online. Members
receive them free.